Kenya defends hosting of Sudan’s RSF amid diplomatic tensions

Kenya has firmly defended its decision to host Sudan’s paramilitary group, the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), in Nairobi, despite strong criticism from the Sudanese government.

On Tuesday, the RSF, which has been fighting against the Sudanese army for control, organized an event in Nairobi.

During the gathering, the RSF group discussed plans to form a parallel government in areas under its control.

This move angered the Sudanese government, which accused Kenya of interfering in its internal affairs and violating its sovereignty.

RSF in Sudan

Kenyan defends the move

Speaking on Wednesday, Foreign Affairs Cabinet Secretary Musalia Mudavadi clarified Kenya’s position in involvement.

He emphasized that Kenya remains committed to its broader role in peace negotiations and aims to help Sudan find a resolution to its ongoing political crisis.

“We recognize that Sudanese groups have previously turned to neighboring countries to seek solutions for their crisis. In fact, in January 2024, key parties and stakeholders in the Sudanese conflict met in a neighboring country to discuss inclusive dialogue and a return to civilian rule,” Mudavadi stated.

He further explained that Kenya’s decision to provide a platform for the RSF and Sudanese civilian groups aligns with its role in peace negotiations.

Kenya remains dedicated to offering non-partisan spaces where conflict parties can explore resolutions without external pressure or influence.

Machakos Protocol of 2002

Mudavadi also highlighted Kenya’s history of brokering peace agreements in the region. He pointed to the Machakos Protocol of 2002, a landmark agreement that played a crucial role in ending Sudan’s Second Civil War.

“Kenya has a long-standing tradition of facilitating dialogue between conflicting parties in the region. Our country has hosted peace negotiations that have resulted in crucial agreements, including the globally recognized Machakos Protocol of 2002,” he said.

He assured that Kenya’s involvement in the Sudanese peace process is not driven by hidden motives. Instead, it stems from a firm belief that military solutions cannot resolve political disputes.

Additionally, Mudavadi stressed the importance of balancing security concerns with the need to restore civilian rule in Sudan.

He reaffirmed Kenya’s alignment with the African Union (AU) Charter on the Unconstitutional Change of Government and noted that the AU had suspended Sudan from its activities in October 2021.

As pressure mounts for a regional solution to the Sudanese crisis, Kenya continues to advocate for a peaceful resolution.

The international community has also turned its attention to the situation, urging constructive and reasonable dialogue.

Kenya supporting Sudan

Mudavadi reiterated Kenya’s unwavering support for the Sudanese people in their pursuit of peace and governance through inclusive discussions. He called on both regional and global stakeholders to rally behind Sudan’s transition to civilian rule.

“Kenya stands in solidarity with the people of Sudan as they shape their future and political governance. We believe the Sudanese people will find a swift and peaceful solution that ensures their security and that of the entire region,” Mudavadi said.

He further emphasized Kenya’s readiness to contribute to peace efforts, both individually and through organizations such as IGAD, the AU, and other regional mechanisms.

Kenya remains fully committed to supporting Sudan’s journey toward stability, democracy, and prosperity in the Horn of Africa region.

Follow https://kenyaonline.xyz

More From Author

State house, Ruto’s &Kindiki’s office to receive billions

Kakamega: Man kills his brother with an axe over Ugali

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

Recent Comments